Another notch on the post

28 Oct

 No, not that  kind of post. Honestly your minds are in the sewers… I mean the rejection post.

 I’m the not-so-proud owner of yet another rejection email for a job that, although I didn’t particularly want, I would have accepted if they’d offered. You with me?

Not only was I told ‘no’ in a Family Fortunes-esque eh-uh kind of way, the one shred of hope I had that they’d got it wrong and wanted to try me out, was cruelly snatched away.

The first email entitled Application Update  read: “Thank you for your application for a role with _______.

I’m sorry to advise that unfortunately, on this occasion, you have been unsuccessful following the shortlisting process.”

So far, so familiar. Though I don’t like the use of the word advise, I prefer inform, but perhaps I’m being a tad fussy. And shouldn’t ‘shortlisting’ be two separate words, or hyphenated?

It continues: “We received a high volume of applications for this particular role, therefore, feedback will be available on this occasion.”

I’d use the word ‘number’ instead of ‘volume’ – it is referring to applications after all. I don’t like the overuse of the comma. It’s not a sub-clause so I wouldn’t bother with the second one.

And I’m fed-up of hearing about my failure ‘on this occasion’. Which other occasion could they possibly know about? Do they read this blog? Perhaps.

I’m delighted that given the high number of applicants they will work hard to give me feedback.

Then an hour later my email inbox pinged. It read: “Please ignore the previous email sent.”

Huzzah! Interview potential? The dawn of a new employment era? Erm no.

I scanned down the rest of the email which was a copy and paste job from the previous one, apart from a useful addition which read:

“We received a high volume of applications for this particular role, therefore, feedback will NOT be available on this occasion.”

Hopes dashed, big fat rain cloud over my new era, back to square one.

It concluded with a wishy-washy, generic, thanks-but-no-thanks and good luck with the future statement.

I don’t want your best wishes. I want job stability, a monthly wage and your pension scheme.

Perhaps I should have a new approach and instead of getting upset and annoyed I should use the rejection for the greater good like this chap:

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Another notch on the post”

  1. danielsfunny October 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

    Until people know your name and trust you to do your job well, especially in the writing world, rejection/ignoring happens about 95% of the time. However, making those 5% count makes the other 95% take notice.
    Keep writing. I dig your blog.

  2. brainforthought October 30, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

    Ugh. Rejection never gets easier, but eventually, good things will happen for you if you keep working at it. Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: